Sunday 15 June 2008

Introducing our traditional food: "AMBUYAT"

In the evening, the whole family had dinner at one of the famous restaurants in Brunei, the "Aminah Arif". It is owned by a cousin of mummy, and it is also a coincidence that he works in the same office with mummy!

The reason why this particular restaurant is well-known is because it offers a traditional dish called "Ambuyat". The sticky jelly-like food is starch made from 'Rumbia' tree, and is eaten with special dippings made from Durian (we call the dipping as 'Tempoyak') or a fruit called 'Binjai'. Ambuyat is complemented with side dishes ranging from fish, meat and vegetables.

More about "Ambuyat"? Mummy found this nice blog explaining lots about it. Click HERE!

That's a long table!


Yummy... The ambuyat is eaten using a Malay chopstick. The difference from Chinese chopsticks is that ours are connected at the end, like an upside down letter 'V'.


Dig in! A special skill is needed to properly take the ambuyat... not that Safiya has mastered the skill yet..


Safiya eats the ambuyat using the special chopsticks.


My lovely cousin.. Safa' Basyeerah


After the delicious dinner, we took out the cake that we bought earlier. My uncle first blew the candles (with my help.. hehehe), and then nini laki, daddy and my uncle teamed up to cut the cake together to celebrate Father's Day. The cake was delicious! Unplanned, nini green arrives at the same restaurant just as we were giving out the cakes, so I gave her and my aunts a few slices of the cake as well.

Three fathers cutting the cake.


My uncle is a shy person, so I helped him blow the candles out. Hehehe... I know, he is actually being nice to me..


Mmm mmmm... ice cream cake


Here you are nini green... My aunt in the blue scarf is the bride-to-be. The one next to me is Bungsu Raudah (Bungsu means the youngest sibling), and my other aunt not facing the camera is Ering Ma'ani (Ering means the second sibling).

No comments: